1998 dodge 1500 4-4 died will not start changed fuel p crank sensor still nothing

Asked by Mar 06, 2015 at 07:10 AM

Died at light will not start power every where  but fuel p. coil

You're saying that you have power to everything except the fuel pump and coil? Is that correct? Do you have anti-theft?

I may have to leave for a bit so I will leave you with some more info. There should be an ASD relay. Check that. That shuts down power to the coil. That may be your entire issue. Here is an article I found on another site. May give you some ideas. Here it is: Many times the fuel pump control/feed circuits will use two fuses one in the fuse box under the hood and the other can be accessed by opening the drivers side door then remove the black fuse box cover.The fuel pump relay would be connected up to 20amp fuse and there would be possibly a 10amp inside the vehicle. Your problem sounds like a ignition coil or a pick up coil problem otherwise it maybe in the wiring going to these devices. Having a solid/clean coil ground is vital. You could find out what resistance the coil is supposed to have when it's a working and simply test it with an ohms meter but remember since it's a coil it could be over heating at times internally therefore the resistance test might seem fine but it doesn't mean that under a load that the coil is working properly.You could take a good look at it and see if you spot a poor ground or if its housing looks cracked or bulged or discolored.Those are all clear signs of a faulty ignition coil. I'd take another listen to the fuel pump with my ear right by it and have someone just put the key in the run position then the start.If you can't hear the pump then check the fuses and relays closely because I've seen relays act up and fuses act up , you could even have a loose/poor/rusted/corroded relay or fuse connection.You can hear or feel the fuel pump relay when it switches on via the comp system and ignition. Another thing is the shutdown relay could be acting up or you have a wiring or sensor issue etc.I've seen dirty fuel filters cause such starting issues so if you've not changed it or checked the air filter or tested the charging/starting system, battery, fuel pressure, changed the plugs etc you may want to do so. Especially if you've not changed the ignition coil or pick up coil or cleaned their connections you may want to perform a basic tune up on those things and the distributor cap etc. Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way remember if there is fuel check for spark and check to see if the ignition coil is getting power and if no power there you may have a bad relay or wiring or ground issues. Make sure that the starter, battery, alternator, engine block ground connections are all clean and solid and that the starter is turning over fast enough. Some sites or parts companies will offer you a free trouble shooting chart that may include the resistance test and coil feed etc that I've mentioned.