Just changes fuel pump filter jgn mod coil , dis cap rotor and wires idles great but accelerating is real bad lots of missing and some backfire 97 s10 4.3 vortec 140000 mi

Asked by Mar 06, 2015 at 06:58 AM

What to do now ??!

42,845

Was it doing this before you did the tune up or after? If before, it may be a bad cam position sensor. Poor acceleration and misfires are symptoms of a bad cam sensor.

42,845

Here are some instructions if you need help. http://www.ehow.com/how_6328619_replace-position-sensor-1997- s_10.html

No just cut off doing 60 went dead like shut off truck . Is it cam shaft or crankshaft sensor ??

Thank you for your help

42,845

Crankshaft sensor. Did it throw any codes?

No sir nothing always thought no code meant air or fuel but I'am not a tech by any means just a shade tree guy

Would pickup coil under cap be the same as camshaft sensor ??

42,845

Yes, there is a cam sensor in the distributor housing. I believe the crankshaft position sensor is located on the backside of the engine on transmission bell housing right side, behind right side cylinder head. Since it's not throwing any codes, you can pretty much just guess on which one to replace. I have read posts that say if you turn over the engine and watch the RPM gauge go up, it's not the crankshaft sensor if the RPM's go up while cranking the engine over. Is it true? Can't tell you for sure. I am not a Dodge tech either. A bad cam sensor has just about the same symptoms as a bad crankshaft sensor. Supposedly if the cam sensor fails, the CEL should be on. Not sure if the crankshaft sensor will trip the CEL. What throws me is you say that it idles fine. With either a bad cam or crank sensor, one of the symptoms for each is poor idle.

264,325

I'd like to throw in something to look at. Recheck your spark plug routing, you might have cross the wires. Also look at the fuel filter again, is it installed in the correct orientation? There is usually an arrow on the filter, it should point to the direction to the front of the car.