My abs quit working in my 2006 Pontiac grand Prix GXP 5.3L V8

35

Asked by Mar 01, 2015 at 01:42 AM

It's also throwing codes for front driver
wheel speed sensor ( which I was told is
why the tractional control light is on and
not functioning properly ) but it's brand
new.

16,640

Could be the wiring harness from the wheel bearing hub assembly to the body, it could be the other wheel bearing assembly or the one new out of the box could be bad. It does happen.

35

I just bought the car a week ago and the dealership told me the abs and tc light was only on because of ONE bad wheel speed sensor. They said bring it in within 30 days and they would replace it and make all these trouble codes go away! ( and no, I was on a horsepower high after the test drive and didn't get it in writing :- / ) Regardless, I took the car and had the codes read myself before I took it back and was told it was throwing codes for the WSS on both sides. I let the owner of the dealership know this when I took it back in the next day and he was less than impressed with my taking the initiative to do a little digging on my own! When I called them two days later to find out when I could get my baby back, he was a COMPLETE ASS and told me that WSS were brand new and that HIS computer said the ABS motor was bad and it wasn't worth it for him to pay $750 to replace it!! But I could drive across town to their shop and pick it up from the mechanic whenever I wanted. So, when I got to the shop I asked the mechanic to hook it up and show me what it read and low and behold it was still throwing the codes for the WSS and then one for the abs motor AFTER those. I don't know if that twatwaffle thought I would just believe whatever he told me just because I'm a female or what, but I know I can get two new wheel bearings with the WSS for like $200 . which I much rather do than drop $350-$750 on a new abs motor if I don't need it! I just want to get it figured out quick cuz driving in asshole deep Ohio snow in a V8 loaded W-body with no abs or t/c REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!

35

Definitely gonna check that wiring harness after work though!

56,845

They may have installed non-ABS hubs because they're cheaper. If that's the case then it'll throw the codes because there's no sensors in the hubs. Henceforth there's nothing to plug the wiring harness into. HTH. -Jim

16,640

Good call Jim.

35

Stopped by after work and had codes cleared just out of curiosity to make sure it wasn't old codes popping up. Came right back up for both WSS . Gonna check the wiring harnesses in the morning , but if that checks out it looks like she's gonna end up with new hubs anyway :-/ NO REST FOR THE WICKED!

16,640

Sorry to hear that. Good luck.

35

Thanks, I'm gonna need it! Pretty sure the suspension is shot all the way around too!! I'm just hoping ball joints and such are still decent for the time being! I was wondering if I needed to go with the Bilstein struts or if there was another manufacturer that's still going to deliver the same performance for this application?