Hi, can anyone tell me, if the warning light on the dash is faulty, will it affect the code reader reading it ?

5

Asked by Feb 28, 2015 at 09:52 AM

Suzuki vitara warning light

12,560

the code comes from the computer, not the light. the light just lets you know there is a code. usually if there is a problem with the light itself, it just doesn't come on. as long as you have power to the obd port, you should be able to read an accurate computer code.

5

Thank you for your answer, I wasn't sure if it would affect it or not, having a job reading the fault code anyway, the overdrive light is flashing, overdrive works fine after about 5/6 miles when engine is warm, but problem I am having is, if I stop even for a few secs or just to fuel up and turn engine off I have to drive another 5/6 mile before overdrive starts working again, any ideas !!!

264,355

Flashing overdrive light means a fault code is stored for the transmission. Most times it is overheating. Have the transmission codes scanned. Might be a shift solenoid issue to having to replace the torque convertor, to rebuilding the transmission. Have it looked at sooner than later to avoid any more damage.

5

Thanks Tom, I took it to a auto gearbox specialist, but he couldn't read the code, hence the question, I have changed atf, it was pretty dark and I can smell hot oil after a run, no leaks from engine or gearbox, is it possible that the cooling pipes or oil cooler can block up and are the solenoids easy to get to to check please.

264,355

Couldn't get a code? Wow, not sure what the issue is then. A failing or failed sensor or solenoid will trip a code. So your probably good there. What did he say about the overall condition of the trans?

5

Hi Tom, he said the trans runs and sound good, gear change is very smooth, I have changed the ECU temp sensor and changed the stat, thinking that could affect it, but no change, I can live with the 5 or 6 miles from cold, it's the starting from hot and going yet another 5 to 6 miles I can't get my head round, it's as if it's on a timer, if I leave it ticking over for about 10 mins before driving it's only a couple of miles before it starts to work, really odd, if it were a solinoid or sensor I feel it would be more intermittent, Suzuki were not a lot of help, just told me the overdrive is controlled by ECU engine temp sensor, I tried running it with speed sensor unplugged, speedo didn't work which I expected, but no other change, I tried it with output sensor unplugged, it stayed in 3rd gear, again to be expected, but no other change re overdrive, do you know if the oil cooler can get blocked or is that common as I can smell or just smell a wiff of hot oil, I know from my injection moulding trade that hot oil can make a valve go tight and stick, but again that would I feel varry the fault, you can set you watch by this one.