The 155,000 mile mark on Toyota/Lexus SUV..is that the line in the sand where the major repairs begin?

195

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 09:15 AM

An owner of a 2006 Lexus RX 330 responded to my online question about buying that model car  with some 143K miles on it...he advised me that his Lexus  had generally been flawless since 2006, but that at 155K miles , the suspension and steering need a major overhaul. Exhaust as well. Valves are in need of adjustment.  Now, since the Lexus and Highlander in that generation 2004-2007 were built on same Camry chassis, and were basically the same car except for luxury features in Lexus, I ask my CarGuru brethren: would this experience ring true for Highlander/Lexus RX 330 owners out there, that once you're going north of 155K miles, some major costly repairs are going to be predictable and I should count on that in terms of assessing value of buying a used car of that vintage?

56,775

I don't think there's a line in the sand with any car. But I'd be cautious of any vehicle with 155,000 miles on it. I've seen cars with barely 100,000 miles on them that are falling apart. Then there's cars with over 200,000 miles on them still driving merrily along. A lot has to do with servicing and maintenance. How well has the vehicle been taken care of? Who has done the repairs? Some vehicles are just lemons from the beginning. But that rarely happens. Run a vehicle history report, such as Carfax, on anything you're interested in. Reputable service facilities report to these agencies so you can see if the vehicle's been maintained and by whom. HTH. -Jim

195

Thanks, Jim. I'm just trying to assess from owners of those cars what's their experience....one Lexus owner has chimed in, as I reported....I'm trying to compute the true cost of buying the much sought after 2005-2007 vintage Lexus RX/ Highlanders -which, with even some 125K miles on them, still command retail of $11K or so (!!) , at Edmund's posted dealer retail---there's plenty of them listed on CarGurus. ---I'm trying assess what is the 'usual' odometer reading that will mean some major work for these sought after Lexus/Highlanders with 125K miles and lots of CarFax entries of regular maintenance...If 150K miles in the USUAL case is going to be approx where a lot more than just another oil and filter change is needed, I want to hear it....Lexus/Highlander SUVs from 2005-2007 generation that have about 80K miles on them retail for some $15,500, appreciably more than the same car with 125K miles...but depending on feedback I receive here, that could be a better deal. .

56,775

You're welcome. Good luck with your search. - Jim