Intermittent Overheating

35

Asked by Feb 21, 2015 at 09:43 PM

My 1991 Honda civic is overheating
intermittently and I have flushed out the
radiator, replaced thermostat but it is still
over heating. Sometimes I can drive for a
hour or so and it might only leak out the
overflow and others it overheats within ten
miles. Is it my water pump and do I
absolutely HAVE to change the timing belt if
all that is not working is the pump if indeed
that is the problem. Thanks!

39,145

Sounds like you may have air in the system. Go to your nearest auto store and buy an air bleed kit.

5,285

Do you hear the cooling fan kick in as the car overheats?

35

My fans work fine, no white smoke....yet. Doesn't run rough, just overheats

5,285

Sounds like it could be the water pump. It's not necessary to change out the timing belt on a vehicle when you have the water pump done. If you have a lot of mileage it's usually recommneded so you won't have to address that later.

Best Answer
35

I forgot to mention that I have blown two hoses on the backside of my water pump so yeah, I think it's time for a water pump and what the hell, a timing belt too so if there is any god at all I'll get this done myself because I sure can't afford a mechanic! Any tricks or tips before I tear my car down?

39,145

I would buy a Haynes auto manual at your local auto store. Will give you step by step instructions. Should run you about $30. I would also buy the entire replacement kit. Not just a pump and belt. You can buy a kit from Rockauto.com for around $50. You will get all gaskets and pulleys.

35

Ok will do! I don't think the task at hand will be beyond me expertise but I wonder what tools I'll need besides the basics, wrenches, jack stands etc. But I did buy a Haynes so the last one I had listed all tools needed for any of the repairs listed. Thanks y'all! I will update later if replacing all that stuff did the trick or if I have a Honda civic listed for sale as a parts car or trade...lol

5,285

Haynes, Chilton and other repair manuals can usually be found a lot cheaper used through Amazon and ebay and many other places.