CarFax Accident Reports Must if Say AirBag Deployed to be meaningful?

Asked by Feb 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM

A CarFax report states an "accident reported" on a used car I'm looking at, accident reported 2 years ago.  My salesman said that if the CarFax does not indicated that there was airbag deployment, then it was probably a minor fender bender and should be ignored.  Can someone explain whether that's a true the "accident reported" by itself not meaningful?  Car looks to be in near excellent condition.

Keyword: "Probably". I'm not saying don't buy the car, but consider spending $100-$150 for a full comprehensive inspection by an unbiased Third party mechanic, and not take what the salesman says it face value. he wants to sell the car, and Ignored is a pretty strong word. It's money well spent for the inspection

I will have a PPI done, this is a 2005 Highlander with 123K on it...and tho extensive CarFax maintenance, one owner, I'm not sure it's going to be cheaper (it's only a $9,800 ask at dealer) in the next 5 yrs than buying a Toyota off lease 3 yrs old at $22K purchase price....I know drivetrain will prob be OK, and they put in a timing belt just now, but ball joints, axles, whatever else...any opinions? (dealer also has a lexus 330, 2006, at the $10K price point, and it's condition is near excellent, 2 owners, 143K miles...same 3.3 liter V6 engine as the 2005 Highlander....thoughts?