how do you reset the warnig symbol for check engine? the light is on and amaco told us it was misfiring on 5 of the6 cylinders.

Deborah Price Bethany

Asked by Feb 14, 2015 at 06:07 PM

the car is giving no problems at all. it run eceptional and gets good gas mileage . the only riffs i have is the steering wheel is kinda tight and dosent respond well after a turn. i just want to know how to reset all the history for the codes?

That's a random misfire, not actually misfiring on 5 out of 6. I have a feeling the guy that scanned it is not exactly a master mechanic..look I don't want to insult anybody but think..5 out of 6? And it runs well? That being said, the light can be re-set but will just re-appear until whatever did throw the code is diagnosed and fixed. A good shop with a good OBDII scanner..umm..I notice you don't say what year..? Or what car? So IF 1996 to present, they can get much more specific than that

Sounds like you may need a tune up. If you have over 100,000 miles on your vehicle you're over due. Once the problem is solved the check engine light will go out after a few drive cycles. A reputable shop will clear the computer for you once the repair is complete. HTH. -Jim