How do I reprogram the Anti Thieft System in my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix?

Asked by Feb 14, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I recently bought a 2006 pontiac Grand Prix and I just discovered that the Anti-Theft
system is disabaling the starter causing the motor to not turnover. How do I reprogram ?

17,320

First off is the check engine light on? If it is or the hood is up the remote start will not work. Its a safety thing on all vehicles with factory remote start. Do the rest of the remote keyfob buttons work, lock, unlock, trunk and alarm? Now if the check engine light is not on and the rest of the buttons work on the keyfob, start the car and on the factory radio press the menu button I believe. It will take you through a bunch of settings one is the remote start. Turn it on, back out of the menu and you should be good to go.

58,815

Sounds like the car isn't recognising the ignition key. You (should) have a transponder key. You'll need one working key to program additional keys to the car. If you don't have a working key you'll need to have the car towed to your local GM dealer to have the keys programmed to the car. HTH. -Jim