Why does the price depend on the mileage?

Asked by Feb 11, 2015 at 01:07 AM

49,145

Lower mileage used vehicles have more life left in them than high mileage vehicles, therefore they are worth more.

305

Mileage and price should have no bearing on each other, but do..case in point; vehicle A drives 60 miles to work 7 days a week on highway...Vehicle B drives 12 miles to work through congested city..it takes both exactly 1 hour each way..Car A has oil changed every 3000 miles, Car B never changes oil...Car A Transmission shifts once and touches brake pedal once when he gets to work ...Car B transmission shifts hundreds of times per trip as are brakes applied in heavy stop and go traffic..You get the picture...In 1 year car A has "High Mileage", almost 44000 and Car B has "Low Mileage", about 8800..But which is the better car...My Airplane and my boat both have "Hour Meters" in them, I've often wondered why vehicles don't...

68,465

This is a "catch 22". Higher mileage means more use and wear. But extremely low mileage can be bad as well. If a vehicle sits for long periods, especially if left outdoors, it will develop it's own set of problems. My '03 S-10 pick up has 285,000 miles on it and was a delivery vehicle for my job. It was well taken care of, still runs good, and is very dependable. When I stopped using my '93 Caprice regularly it developed problems with the anti-lock brakes, airbag system, coolant leaks, and a valve tap. Disuse is just as much an enemy to a vehicle as overuse, abuse, and neglect. HTH. -Jim