My 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 gauge on my truck says Engine 530 hours. What does that mean? Will my engine die when the hours expire?

Asked by Feb 03, 2015 at 06:17 PM

52,125

The hour meter keeps track of running engine time in hours.

Bob but its counting down. My question is if the hours go all the way to zero will mean that I need a new engine.

52,125

Are you sure it is counting down? Certainly it doesn't have anything to do with needing a new engine. I wonder if it is something to do with maintenance and it is counting down for that. I did have a 2011 GMC that had an hour meter, but it counted up.

52,125

I did some reading about the hour meters in Chevy trucks and there are numerous issues with them such as resetting and being unusually low. Didn't find any counting down, are you sure it is not the estimated fuel range in miles counting down?