05 v6 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Asked by Jan 15, 2015 at 07:31 PM

Makes a clunk when started and
continues to make a clicking noise
from behind the ear box near the
firewall on top of the engine idols at
500 RPMs and clicking speeds up
when revved up

23,855

Speedo cable? (if it is, it can be oiled)

It has trouble running and when I put it in gear it starts to have a mild shake. Oil is good tranny is good motor light comes on its a clicking or tapping but it's not a metal on metal sound

23,855

My mistake, just so I understand then, the clicking is internal to the engine and not external as I previously understood you. If the ticking sounds like it's half the engine RPM it can be related to the valve train (and most likely a lifter, but those don't really "clunk") if it's equal to engine RPM it can be a timing chain or any number of bearings. It's something you'll have to pinpoint, either with a mechanic's stethoscope or a big screwdriver held to your ear (be careful around moving parts). If a "check engine" light flashes have the trouble code scanned at any parts shop (they all do it for free), that will give you a big clue as to the nature of the ticking sound.