I want to buy a used car, I live in Florida, but moving to Ohio. Question, is car taxes and title buying a car higher in Fl. or in Ohio?

Asked by Jan 01, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Google STATE TAX for FL and for OH...then compare! Good move...OH is the pits, dawg!

305

I can tell you that Florida State Sales tax is 6% and County Sales tax depends on the county...My county is .005%....However, the county tax is only applicable on the first $5000...

765

Really doesn't matter because if you buy in FL and its rate is lower than OH, when you go to register your car there, they will be looking for their pound of flesh as a 'use' tax instaed of sales tax... but make sure you stay ontop of them becaue they are only supposed to charge the difference - so if, for example you paid 5% and there it is supposed to be 6%, they should only charge the 1% difference and will do it on the book value normally since it could have been a while since you purchased the car...