Ford escort question.

10

Asked by Jan 01, 2015 at 03:01 PM

97 escort wagon stalled on
freeway.had it towed to a shop and
was told the timing belt broke.had
new belt and water pump
installed.next I got a call the engine
had no compression.wanted 800 to
rebuild head.is this normal
procedure.shouldn't compression be
tested before installing a belt and
pump?its a 95 escort wagon with
81k.one owner with the 1.9
engine.thanks for any info.

78,105

You can't test compression with a broke timing belt without removing the valve cover and lining up each cylinders valve closures to get the proper readings. Better verify that yourself, this is a non interference engine so that usually does not happen unless excess heat had something to do with it. If the Pistons did contact the Valves then there could be other engine problems getting ready to show up, like worn bore, worn wrist pins, excessive bearing clearances, etc.

Best Answer
10

Thank you for your response.I'm already 400 into the car for the new belt and water pump.I may just cut my losses and sell it.I have minimal mechanical skills.lol

56,775

Tennisshoes is 100% correct. Sounds like the shop messed up and didn't properly line up the timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets when they did the job. Make them re-do it right. My '94 Escort wagon had the same engine. Had the same thing happen. Reset the valve timing, installed a new water pump and was good to go. HTH. -Jim

56,775

And of course put on a new timing belt too.