My 1990 olds 98 is idling at 25 rpms and clanking when put in gear. if i get the rpms down im sure the clanking will stop. how do i get the idle down and where is this adjustment located

Lamont Baesler

Asked by Dec 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM

first make.sure.your throttle cable isnt messed up. it could be.bound up somewhere (like where cable goes into metal sleeve under dash) check the simple stuff. check your plugs wires cap and rotor. thn check your timing. make sure your vacuum advance works. fuel filter(s) if all is well just unplug vacuum advance vacuum and plug it. turn idle screw in park til you get about 850rpms. hook it back up and i suggest unplugging neg. on batt. and let it sit for 15. make sure u have no vacuum leaks. something like this is usually something very simple

is it carbeurated or fuel injected?