What is the level of difficulty transferring car registration to a used vehicle brought out of state. Live in Massachusetts.


Asked by Dec 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Question type: General

I want to trade in my current car to purchase a used vehicle outside my home state of
Massachusetts.  What is the level of difficulty can be done in a day or two.

4 Answers


Hope this helps! Looks like it may take a bit longer than 1-2 days for everything to be completed --------> http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/regs/reg2.htm

1 of 1 people found this helpful.

can be done in 30 minutes with the correct I D. have current insurance card, driver license, cash or postal money orders, for purchase, your home free


If you're doing this at a used or new car dealer, they can pretty much handle all the paperwork in house including temp tags. I've never had a problem going out of state in buying a car. When you bring it back home you might have to get a VIN inspection if it's a used car.

1 of 1 people found this helpful.

Agree with KenF....If it's a car purchased at a Dealer and not a Private Party, then they will do all of the necessary paperwork in a reasonable amount of time. I've purchased a couple of cars out of state and the only thing I had to do was get the car re-inspected for the state I live in (thankfully, that's free for me!).

Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions

  • Living in NY and buying from MA 4 answers

    I have been searching for a very specific car for months and finally found it, but it is in Massachusetts and I live in NY. I contacted the dealer and they said they've never sold a car to anyone...


  • Can Somebody Help Me Track Down My Baby 1 answer

    Vin# 5GAET13M452127543 State: Massachusetts

    2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD



  • Are the cars you sell all allowed in boston? thank you. 3 answers

    I would like to know if the cars for sale here are all allowed to drive in Boston, not like other countries which has only specific cars allowed. Thank you.

    2003 Acura CL 3.2



  • front license plate 14 answers

    i can get the front licenes plate braket for my 300zx but they dont make/or couldnt get me a finisher, it is california state law to have both plates whats should i do to it custom job?

    1988 Nissan 300ZX



  • Exhaust Laws in Massachusetts 2 answers

    What are you allowed to do to an exhaust system in Massachusetts?

    Car Customization


Search General Questions

General Experts

#1 Tom Demyan
Tom Demyan
Reputation 47,020
Reputation 38,910
#3 tenspeed
Reputation 16,610
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.