2008 Pontiac g6 with 150,417 miles. The engine just blew the shop gave me an estimate of $600 for the engine and $1,300 for labor (16 hours). I still owe $1,700 on it. Should I fix it then try to sell or sell as is for cheap (back bumper damage) or trade it in..as is or fixed..? sell it for parts or weight? I just put 1,000 in work on tires and bearings last month.. Just looking on advice for the best way to handle this situation.

Asked by Dec 24, 2014 at 05:34 PM

2008 Pontiac g6 with 150,417 miles. The engine just blew (v6) the shop gave me an estimate of $600 for the engine and $1,300 for labor (16 hours). I still owe $1,700 on it. Should I fix it then try to sell or sell as is for cheap (back bumper damage) or trade it in..as is or fixed..? sell it for parts or weight? I just put 1,000 in work on tires and bearings last month.. Just looking on advice for the best way to handle this situation.

56,865

Oh boy, I've been down this road before! Trade it in and roll the $1700 you still owe on it into the new car loan. Sometimes it's better to cut our losses and walk away. This car is just going to be one disaster after another. See if you can at least get back the $1000 for the tires and bearings on a trade in. The $1700 extra that you're rolling over will only be a couple more dollars per month and in the long run you'll be better off being rid of this money pit! HTH. -Jim

Best Answer

Thank you! Thats what I'm thinking too, just keep putting more and more into it :( ugh!

56,865

You're welcome. Glad to help. - Jim