my 97 Bonneville ssei overheated and busted the radiator hose i changed hose and thermostat still overheated then cooled back down all my antifreeze kicked back into my reserve tank

10

Asked by Dec 21, 2014 at 05:54 PM

5,205

Have you checked the water pump and radiator cap?

10

I'm doing the radiator cap tomorrow

10

Thank u

5,205

Actually since all the coolant went back into the radiator upon cooling, the radiator cap is doing at the very least an adequate job. I recommend you look at the water pump on the front of the engine to see if there are any traces of coolant in the "Weep hole" or underneath it.

5,205

Well, if the coolant didn't go back into the radiator upon cooling, the radiator cap is suspect. Good luck

65,935

What engine do you have? The cooling system may need to be bled to remove any trapped air. The 3.4L and 3.8L V6 need to be bled after a major coolant loss. HTH. -Jim

10

my fans should automatically kick on once my temp. gage reachs a certain temp

65,935

Yes they should. First on low speed then if the temp continues to climb they should switch to high speed. HTH. -Jim

10

its a 3800 super charge series 2

65,935

Then yes, the system needs to be bled. HTH. -Jim

10

thank u

65,935

You're welcome. Glad to help. - Jim

10

The heads cracked thank u anyway Jim....Its all bad for me

65,935

Oh no!! That really stinks!! You're welcome though, glad to help. One last thought, those engines are notorious for intake manifold gasket failure. Could that possibly be it? While not a cheap fix, at least your car may be repairable. -Jim

10

oil is in everything

65,935

Hmmmmmm, coolant does flow through the intake manifold. If that gasket goes, oil and coolant will mix. Giving the impression of a blown head gasket or cracked head. -Jim

10

how can i check the manifold gasket

65,935

First thing to do is pull the oil dipstick. Look for white milky "goop" on the dipstick. These motors rarely, if ever, blow a head gasket so the "goop" is a sure sign of the intake gasket. Remove the oil filler cap and look at the underside for the same "goop". For external leakage look at the top of the motor and remove the plastic cover from the supercharger. Look for any signs of antifreeze or wetness. Also look at the front (passenger side) of the motor where the pulleys are. Same thing. Look for antifreeze seeping or dripping where the intake manifold meets the block. Now if you decide to fix it, make SURE the shop does TWO oil and filter changes immediately after the repair is complete. The first should be done before the engine is started after the repair. Once the fresh oil and filter are installed have them run the engine at idle, in park, for 30 minutes. Then shut it off and change the oil and filter again. This is VERY important. This will get the antifreeze out of the crankcase and prevent a spun bearing. HTH. -Jim