What is the best ford car like an SUV Explorer with GREAT gas mileage?

Asked by Dec 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I have to buy a Ford Car.  priorities: I prefer an suv for the "command seat position" and
"step in/out" .
I need good gas mileage!   I have to buy a ford because this is a gift with connections.

Your best Ideas? I can spend 20,000 TOTAL, and my brother can deal with the owner.  
So we really shouldn't consider price.  I will consider a 2012/13/14 with low mileage.  
What are may best years/makes and models to consider?  What is my best car

check out the ford escape. we have friends that have one and love it. great mileage.

I would steer clear of the Explorer (which several local mechanics I know give it the loving nickname of "Exploder"). Guess I'm not entirely understanding WHY you MUST buy a Ford, especially if we're talking spending $20k of your money. (Yes, I CAN understand wanting to help a family friend, etc..which is why I almost bought a Ford Probe GT in the 90's...but THAT car was an enormous POS..so I got a Toyota MR2 instead..lol). I checked Consumer Reports on the Explorer and Escape, they aren't in love with either one and did state that reliability of the Escape has been below average (2013 Escape has trouble spots with major engine / engine cooling components). Will you family disown you if you buy a Nissan Rouge or Mazda CX-5? lol