2007 nissan frontier engine shuts off, power is on, cranks but doesnt start.

10

Asked by Dec 14, 2014 at 03:14 PM

Driving home from work and truck
shuts off. Dash lights lit up along with
radio. Cranked but didnt start. Had to
get towed all the way home. Is not a
fuel problem or charging system
problem. What should i check next?

I had a similar problem you describe. If fuel is not the problem, can it be a bad ground on your fuel pump. As you drive along it shorts and turns off fuel pump ? Chevy s 10's are notorious for this . A crankshaft position sensor has those symptoms when they go bad also.. It may be cheap enough to toss in, I don't know.Personally, I'd check all the electrical connections and connectors, starting at the fuel pump.

10

When i turn the key you can hear the fuel pump turn on. That wouldnt happen with a bad ground, would it ? I was going to check my ignition coils and spark plugs. Do you know of anything else other than connections?

I would still check all connections. A distributor module has these symptoms when going bad. Also, you can't go wrong with testing the fuel rail for pressure at ignition and when turned off. If your fuel pump is pumping, fuel can still be blocked somewhere in the plumbing.If you test with a gauge, you can answer that question. A crankshaft position sensor has those symptoms too. If you haven't changed the fuel filter in a while, it can't hurt replacing that. Check fuel with a gauge and note pressure at starting and ignition off. Can you remove your air intake from filter box after Mac and spray in starter fluid carefully. If it starts spray in a little at a time to keep it running. Don't use too much it could ruin your valves. If no start, an would go to spark control. Start with basics. Check spark with wire to ground, etc.

Have you also checked to see if your alarm is sensing the vehicle is being stolen ?With doors closed, turn alarm on and turn it off a couple times to make sure it turns off.

That should read (in first reply) filter box after m.a.f. mass air flow sensor' Also, if you use starter fluid, unplug fuel pump relay so you don't have a fire if it pumps while spraying s.f.