Hi Can you please tell me how to fix My 2002 vw beatle has EPC warning light on dash, and only crank but won't start"

Asked by Nov 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM

36,785

EPC actually stands for Electronic Power Control (Straight from the VW workshop manual) It refers to the drive-by-wire system and any faults with the throttle pedal, throttle body, traction control, cruise control, even the MAF will on occasion trigger the light. It's also known for a stuck brake light switch to do this. Some brake light switches have two pairs of contacts in them, one for the engine and one for the brake lights. If changing the brake light switch doesn't cure it then you will need to get a VAGCOM scan of the engine controller. With all of the above information, I would bring the car in and have the error codes read. It appears that you may have a problem with your throttle body or gas pedal. All of which may be causing your no start issue. Usually if the car cranks but there is a no start, a good place to start looking is fuel and spark. See if you can hear the fuel pump humming in the tank, and see if you have good spark. Have someone turn the key to ACC. and see if you can hear the fuel pump hum. Take of the gas cap off and put your ear to the hole. Or you can jack up the rear and place a screw driver blade to the tank and put your ear on the plastic end of the screw driver. The sound should travel through to your ear. If you hear the pump hum, next check for good spark, you may have a bad coil pack.