My 1999 Buick Park Avenue shut off while I was driving. Now it terns over, but wont start. Any input would be appreciated

Asked by Nov 27, 2014 at 01:37 AM

I can here the fuel pump.

10

I have a 1999 Buick Park Avenue with a similar problem. After 5-15 minutes of driving the engine simply shuts off. It generally starts back up. No repair codes reported. I replaced the ignition module and fuel pump, but the shut-off problem persists.

You may have a faulty catalytic converter. I have a 99 Park Avenue Ultra and my car was doing the same thing...shutting off no error codes or fault lights coming on. Does your car also rough idle sometimes? If so, that converter may be stopped or or getting there. You can try running a premium grade fuel cleaner first but if that doesn't work, I'd start to suspect that the converter has reached the end of it's life.