I want to sell my car,do I have to remove the license plates

Asked by Nov 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Yes,the tag doe,s not belong to you,it is just in your name,it belong,s to the state you live in,and in most state,s it is the law that you remove it from the car at time of sale,and go to tag office and remove the tag from your owner ship.This all so remove,s you from liabilty if something go,s wrong,such as wreck or some one use,s it in a crime,it wont lead to you.

You should definitely remove the plates before selling or trading in your car. When you had the car registered, the plates were "assigned" to you. Look at your current car registration and you will see the license plate# on there. You can either transfer them to whatever new vehicle you get or return them to the DMV. Do NOT leave them on the car when you sell it. The new owner needs to get temp. tags...that's his/her responsibility, not yours!

Every state is different. So T_S_T an Racer_X are both right. I know in California the plates stay with the vehicle. I live in a state that the owner of the plates keeps them and is allowed to transfer them to another vehicle. Call your local DMV or better yet get on their website to find out exactly.