I drive a 2005 Chevy Impala. It shifts hard and Transmission Fluid is black and smells burnt. Is it safe to change, or will it finish off the tranny if it's changed?

Asked by Nov 17, 2014 at 05:45 PM

I've gotten different opinions from people
on this. Anyone have or had this problem
that could possibly answer this for me?
Thanks in advance.

19,610

Any check engine light codes? If its slamming and the fluid is black and smells burnt its probably toast. You could try to do a trans flush but its a 50/50 fix.

That's what I thought. Yeah, the check engine light is on. I suppose there's only one way to find out, huh?! Lol thank you for the feedback.

19,610

Have it scanned if it comes up as "long adaptive shift" or something close to that, its time to have it rebuilt. A flush with that code won't help, save your money. Autozone can scan it for free.

Ok will do. Thanks, again, I appreciate it.

19,610

No problem and good luck.

Thanks! I need it. Lol