98 Pontiac Grand Am no start/no dash lights

Asked by Oct 26, 2014 at 07:39 PM

Hello all. I recently replaced the heater core in a 98 2.4 Grand Am. I had removed the steering column and was on my way to remove the dash when I discovered I could do it without pulling the whole dash. When I plugged in the wires to the column I test fired it and all was well except the air bag light was on. Once I got the column installed I went to start it again and it would fire for 2 seconds then die. There are no lights of any kind on the dash on key on, so no flashing security light or anything. Bat has a full charge and I checked ECM fuse. I tried to do the security  relearn once, but I have seen some places say you may have to do that 2 or 3 times. My brother said he has seen an ignition lock cyl do similar things, but Id like to see if anyone has had similar problems before I get one. I am at my wits end. Any help guys and gals?

65,535

I think your brother is right,igintion switch.

67,255

Did you disconnect the negative (-) battery cable before starting the repair? You should have. If not, check all the fuses first. One might have blown during the repair. HTH. -Jim

Yes Jim, I did unhook the neg cable first. Going to try that lock cyl this week T_S_T, I will be sure to let you all know of my findings. Thank you

67,255

Good job! Yes, please keep us posted. -Jim

Update! She runs! Ended up being a fuse! I had checked every fuse I thought would be aplicable, ecm, security, dash, ect ect. I decided to check one more time after the spare steering column I sourced yielded no change. I noticed in the new column, the key was stuck in it too. I just figured there may have been a stressed wire on the shifter, but I have bigger problems....right? Well when I was giving the fuses the final once over I found one labled PRNDL. I pulled it and sure enough it was blown. Park Reverse Neutral Drive Low it means, so could that be the stuck key issue? I changed the fuse, and not only did my key come out but the dashboard light up! Started it and it died, but I've never been so happy to see that stupid flashing security light! Lol. One relearn cycle and she fired right up! I never would have guessed that one. Thanks guys for the help

67,255

Awesome, glad you're back on the road. Thanks for letting us know. You're welcome, glad to help. - Jim