I just replace end and drive shaft in my 1996 Dodge Ram now my car won't travel over 20 miles an hour what is the problem

Asked by Oct 10, 2014 at 05:35 AM

32,365

Did you install it backwards?

665

Did u mean to type rearend that you replaced? If that's the case make sure that nothing got disconnected from from the transmission. If you replaced the rearend assy. does the new one set up the same as the old one. If you have a speed sensor that mounts in the rearend and if the one you have in it now doesn't have one or the gear ratio is different. That could be the problem that you have. If the ecu can't get the imformation it needs to tell what speed you are going. The ecu will put the transmission into limp mode. When this happens the ecu will not let it shift into the higher gears. That way you do less damage to the transmission assy. Chrysler has been doing this for years. Hopefully that helps. Is any warning lights coming on? Did you check ecu for codes? I'll be online off an on today so I'll keep a look out for your reply. Please try to give us as much info that might be helpfull so you'll be on the road.

Best Answer
665

Morning boholmark,

32,365

Evening TD. What are you doing up so early this morning buddy?

665

I have 4 sleeping disoders. I've been up last 2days w/maybe 4 hrs. Sleep.

148,595

Good morning Gentlemen

32,365

Oh man, I feel for you brother. I wish I had magic answer for you, but I don't. And I'm sure that you have consulted men far wiser than me. I'll include you in my prayers tonight.

32,365

Good morning gentleman. I see the day shift has arrived bright eyed and bushy tailed........ Well, I guess you can tell I've been playing with my soon to be 3 year old son. Shall I sing the Sponge Bob Square Pants song? :-) LOL

222,755

"Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"

32,365

Absorbent and Yellow and Porous is He!

148,595

If nautical nonsense be something you wish!

32,365

Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish! :-)