I have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe when I go to start the vehicle cold it startbut when I shut it off and try to start it 10 minutes later it has a hard time starting I have to step on the gas to start.

Donna Shuman

Asked by Oct 08, 2014 at 03:08 PM

New fuel pump

Mark Grignon

Any codes present? Possibilities may include temperature, throttle position, or mass airflow senor. The computer relies on these analog inputs to know what the air/fuel ratio is suppose to be to run in the engines temperature ranges. If the sensors go out of range, the mixture will not be correct and problems like hard starting, hesitation, etc.. will be present.

Mark knows what he is talking about..don't know the man but judging by his posts it shows. Be careful, running lean, if ECU has wrong input(s) will cause overheating.

Donna Shuman

No codes and it doesn't overheat. What's ECU?

Mark Grignon

ECU - (E)lectronic (C)ontrol (U)nit) or ECM - (E)lectronic (C)ontrol (M)odule. These are both the same. Depending on manufacturer, it is referred to usually one of these. These are basically a computer that controls your vehicle. So if you don't have any codes, the ECU is not picking up any problems. This situation makes it tough to troubleshoot if you're not actually at the vehicle collecting data. It could be a simple mechanical issue, or it just may need a tune up.