I have 1966 fairlane gt it had 289 I put a 360 out of 1970 pickup cant get the right motormounts and cant figure out the exhaust it hits inner fenders both sides help

Asked by Oct 05, 2014 at 09:54 AM

exhaust how do i make it work do I have to cut on inner fenders

31,225

You will need custom exhaust and motor mounts. Get the motor mounts first.

77,855

I am wondering why a 360 when a 351W would have been a lot eaiser install. If you have looked at some of the racing fairlanes, you would have noticed that the inner fenders have been removed, and just some support rods manufactured and placed at fender flex areas to provide support, then you can run custom headers out.

142,905

Agreed. Fabricated headers--. http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/493043-engine-swap-question-s-66-fairlane-72-ford-truck.html That is not a common swap. If you are not too far in to it, consider a 5.0 (302) or 351 Windsor. The 360 is a good engine, not a big block, but according to that thread those 2 engines are far easier and the 5.0 IMO is about the best engine Ford ever built,-- in use to this day--that good. And as for motor mounts, you won't have to weld on frame which is generally discouraged, especially any vertical welds.

142,905

Hi t-shoes..I was still typing..your post was not there. But at least we agree..Good morning

142,905

bigtim61 you can possibly get 400+ HP from a 5.0 with time and money. Enough HP and torque it can tweak the frame on that '66 Fairlane. Even the foxbody Mustangs have had that happen

31,225

Hey B Tim your getting some of the best advice on the web from two of the most informed guy's I know. If you do the math, the 5.0 will serve you better in both the long and short run. Just the availability of performance parts and not having to muck around with the exhaust, for one, is worth a ton. It's your car and your a big boy. Enjoy my friend.

360 AND A 390 are the same block - 390's came from the factory in those cars - I don't see why you would have to have "custom" engine mounts.call your local NAPA they have them for $ 20.00.

you can also buy headers thru Summit.