spark plug guards

45

Asked by Sep 23, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Having trouble getting 2 spark plugs out of a Dodge van. There are metal guides/guards around the plugs. I think if I remove them with a thinner socket I can get the plugs. How do the guards come out? Pull out with needle nose pliers? I don't want to wreck it and can't see inside. thanks. Stevo

96,935

There is usually a small metal tab that is bolted to the exhaust manifold that holds them in place, you do not want to remove them unless you plane on spending a chunk of change on some ceramic tipped plug wires, the shields protect the plug boots. I used a deep thin wall plug socket sears now has them.

45

the local shop finally got the plugs out for me. They had to tear out the metal guides and pound a too-small socket on the plug to get it to turn and come out. spendy. I tried and tried to get them out. Meh. thanks to all who responded. Stevo