f150 5.0 starter motor spins but does not engage flywheel teeth. bought used so can't tell too much other than new flywheel and starter replaced within the last several months

Asked by Sep 19, 2014 at 09:41 AM

93 model 5.0 hi torque starter. Key activates and solenoid appears to work, starter motor spins, but the drive does not appear to engage, sound like it wants to be it does not engage enough to spin engine.  this did not evolve, the problem just was there all of a sudden

The Bendix is probably not being pushed out enough or at all. Beware, if it partially engages, not full on it can chew up the teeth on the flywheel. Since you bought it used, take it out and bench test it to confirm if I am right or wrong on this.