How does cargurus.com calculate how many days a car has been for sale?

Asked by Sep 18, 2014 at 07:59 AM

I've noticed that when looking at a particular car listing, it shows that the car has been "selling slowly" with it being for sale for 71 days but "41 days at this dealership". How does Cargurus.com calculate this? Is it based on the VIN, and is there a way I can see where the car was previously for sale?

One possible scenario is the person selling it tried to sell by listing here, and after a month it didn't sell so he/she traded it in, so there is the difference. I know of no way to tell where the private party is. If you click on the orange circle with the ? on the lower right of this page, they might have more information. Not might, will have. I have seen cars listed for 200+ days