I have contacted several dealers about cars listed on CarGurus, but very often the response is that the car I am asking about is unavailable for some reason, but the dealer is super happy to send me links to similar cars with a much higher price. It feels like dealers are using CarGurus and other sites like it (ISeeCars) for the ole' bait and switch sales tactic. Has anyone else had this experience? I am pretty much ready to stop using CarGurus as at least 50% of my experiences have been negative and a waste of time.

Asked by Sep 08, 2014 at 11:23 PM

75

If the dealer is offering a similar vehicle (same year, options) at a much higher price, then it is possible. Most dealers inventory will change daily, so online listings are not always going to be available. If the dealer tells you via email that a vehicle is not available, it isn't likely a "bait and switch"