I have a 1987 Ford F 150, can someone please tell me where the fuel pump shut-off switch is?

Asked by Sep 06, 2014 at 01:04 PM

I just finished changing out the
thermostat and oil, the truck turns
over but does not want to fire, it will
not start... it has never had a
problem starting, did I do something
while changing out the thermostat?

78,105

I assume it is a V8 so look around the distributor you may have broke a connector or missed hooking something back up. Fuel pump shut off on most 48 state trucks is located on the inside firewall on the drivers side just to the left and down from the steering column, if it is not there then it is a calif. truck and it will be on the passenger side just over the top of the kick panel.

Best Answer

Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it goes...

143,185

It has a red button on it, if you mean inertia switch that shuts off fuel in a crash

Yes, i have just learned that's the swutch... thanks to u. My button is white though. I have a horrible meter, but don't think im getting power to fuel pump... im tracking wires now. I had the pump out and it does work.

What? All of a sudden, i dont have power to the fuel pump? Why? I must have kicked some wire loose while changing the therstat.

78,105

Your rig might have a low oil pressure switch on it and it will be on the engine, usually close to the oil pressure sender. You could have easily have moved a harness and it unplugged the connector.

I'll find it and check, would this cause the fuel pump to not turn on too? I used to always hear it before the stat and oil change... i'll have more answers after lunch. Thx for being such a great help!

78,105

Even if you have the low pressure switch you should hear the fuel pump run briefly then shut off, if you don't then there could be a fuel pump relay problem, they do fail.

I'll probably end up there, I see it in the schematic.

78,105

Great, you have a schematic, those really help.

Success!!!!! It was a loose fuel pump relay wire in the engine conpartment. Thank you to everyone who led me down the road to success, thank you so very much! The old goat is good for another 100 miles!! Lol, jk, she runs beatifuly, thanks again.

78,105

Great. Thanks for using CarGurus.