I have a 1985 Chevy lindy motor home the wires to my starter from the battery have caught on fire twice and sometimes it wont crank. What could be the problem. it has hasA 350 motor

Asked by Sep 04, 2014 at 04:36 PM

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

I had my teenage son rewire..but not sure if he done it right. Plz help..we are STRANDED

2 Answers

77,855

That is the problem with the older motor homes, I hate to tell you this but you need to have some battery cables built for you, and instead of running the positive cable inside the frame rail where the heat is trapped causing the cable to melt to needs to be ran and protected on the outside of the rail to the starter. The negative cable can be ran directly to the engine block, then another cable from the block to the frame. I have done this a couple of times on Motor homes so I know it works but it is not cheap as you must use high quality wiring. If you don't it will do it all over again. After that is done then you need to place a heat shield on your starter, they can be purchased at most parts stores, but get the good one.

2 out of 2 people think this is helpful.
56,595

Exactly, and it sounds like at least one of the battery cables is sitting too close to the hot exhaust manifold. HTH. -Jim

Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions

Shortcuts

Search Maintenance & Repair Questions

Maintenance & Repair Experts

#1 Tom Demyan
Tom Demyan
Reputation 150,070
#2 FordNut
FordNut
Reputation 102,970
#3 dandyoun
dandyoun
Reputation 84,000
View All