Does one have to provide a social security number and a drivers license to buy a car and get the title of the car?

Asked by Aug 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I bought a car one week ago, and the dealer now wants me to give it my drivers license before he turns the title of the car to me. Is this normal?

Ask at your state DMV if that's a requirement. I'd be careful who I gave my SS # to.

My state only requires the dealers get the drivers license not a SSN. What seems strange is that he waited a week before asking you, they are suppose to do all of the transfer paper work in front of you.

Taking a photo copy of your driver's license is perfectly ok. In NJ, at least, a vehicle can't be sold to an unlicensed person. The only time they'd need your social security number is if you're financing the car. This is so they can check your credit history and hunt you down if you stop making your car payments. If they want 2 forms of ID give them your driver's license and a major credit card, or library card, passport, work ID badge, or your birth certificate. Don't give out your social security number as a second form of ID though!! HTH. -Jim