1993 chevy 1/2 ton truck 5.7 engine. My dash Brake light stays on dim all the time. When emergency brake pedal is pressed to light goes on bright until I release it. Is there a brake component I need to check and if so where is it?

20

Asked by Aug 17, 2014 at 09:22 AM

I did reset the brake system by disconnecting the brake fuse and the problem returned.

112,455

Try pulling up on the e-brake pedal while pulling the release handle.

20

It still stays on dim

112,455

Ok then try removing the wire harness from the back of the switch on e- brake pedal. If it then goes out the switch is probably bad.

What exactly is a DASH Brake Light? A warning light? Igray, dandy help this ignoramus out here, i really don't know what you mean by dash brake light...and good morning dandy

Never mind..I get it now, the light that tells you the Parking brake is on or partially on.

112,455

Good morning. That's what I believe they are talking about.

20

The light still stays on dim. Does that signal a brake system fault?

20

Yes the Dash brake light is the red light that illuminates on the dash instrument panel when the emergency brake is depressed. I hope this is clear now. And the light still stays on "Dim" when the brake switch is unplugged

I don't think so. Only in the switch that is hooked to the e-brake pedal. Out of adjustment, or 21 years of age the contacts may be partly connected, that's why it's dim. No worries about your brakes failing

The regular brake pedal switch unplugged or e-brake..it is a pedal, right?

Here is an interesting thread: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/262169/ .........and click this for full screen

.

OK, a dim light is a warning that a fault has been detected in the rear wheels anti-lock brakes. Beginning in 1988 it was standard equipment on the 1/2 ton chevys. Not 4 -wheel ABS, but rear only , where there is little weight (unless of course you are carrying a good load) and helps prevent fish-tailing, the front does 70%+ of the stopping so the rear is going to want to get in front in a panic stop

Best Answer

There are three brightness levels of the dash brake indicator light on .... Brightest – park brake Medium – proportioning valve...the valve/device that gives you redundant brakes..if a brake line blows out you will still have brakes on two wheels..either front only, rear only, or one front and one opposite side rear, never two on same side.... ***Dim – Rear Wheel abs*****

20

Low brake switch , Emergency Brake sw , and DRL module are able to send the three different brightness signals. Thank you for the detailed answer I needed. Nothing is as simple as it seems it should be..