Changing brands of engine oil OK ? When I was a kid with an old car, 60 years ago, I kept hearing "Stay with the brand of oil that the car has been using." Don't change brands." Is this still the rule with modern cars and oils ?

60

Asked by Aug 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM

30

Yes. I work at jiffy lube and we recommend sticking with the same brand and quality of oil. You could risk putting your gaskets into shock. And that's not fun

31,275

Ive had no problem with the used cars and trucks I've had over the years no knowing what was in it last. Just use a good brand.

19,705

it has always been ok to use different brands of oil- you might want to stick with the specific weight-