88 Grand Marquis-was broken into ignition switch has been replaced now power windows will not roll down? Heater core has been disconnected due to smoke fumes coming into car... Now car smells of fuel

Asked by Jul 25, 2014 at 08:39 AM

Inside as you drive... We have to add
oil about every two weeks and there
is an oil leak somewhere...

33,365

A) Was it a recovered theft by the police? B) Did you have insurance for the repairs? C) How much do you love this car? I think that there's been more damage done then just the ignition switch. A lot more.

They were never able to take vehicle they crack steering colmn plastic and jammed something in ignition there were wires hanging.... Just went to autozone had a friend out ignition in car started but windows won't work now :/ REPLACED FUSE WINDOWS

This car is very special want it to stay around as my late uncle gave it to me when I was working early morning shifts and he didn't want me struggling. Now he is gone want to keep his car around... Need suggestions for repairing leaks and odors as well

33,365

Hmmmm. Is it just the master window switch on the driver's door? Or do none of the Windows work from any of the doors? I, for the life of me, don't see how they are related. But who knows, thefts are a derelict bunch. Let me think about this one for a few minutes.

33,365

Ok. I understand. Let's start with the heater core. When you say smoke. Is that like smoke from a fire or steam from the engine?

232,175

Could the smoke be from the oil leak, and oil is getting onto the exhaust? Most probably the valve cover gaskets are shot, time to replace.

33,365

Good point Tom. I sure hope you right. The heater core is a sob to do.

Ok there are switches on each door however neither will make windows go up or down motor on driver side window hasn't worked for a while but the other windows prior to break in worked.... Smoke could have been steam... As time has progressed it now smells like gas in car I thought maybe catalytic conver just cuz on occasion the rotten egg smell is present for a quick second...

I had to have cylinoid replaced the one mounted near battery could there be wires there that control windows? Those cables go directly to battery? Had to replace battery claw as well...

33,365

Ok. Is there a switch on the driver's window control panel that "Bocks" the other Windows from working? It's possible that somehow the cut off switch is now active. In any case replace the driver's side window switch. Ford used that switch on a lot of different models.

33,365

No the wire's to the windows are in a harness that comes from the fuse box. BTW did you check your fuses and relays for the power windows?

I replaced fuse in fuse box

33,365

Who replace the fuse box? You or did you hire someone?

I replace fuse in fuse box that corresponds to windows

232,175

Ugh, so you have a power window wiring issue, oil leaks, fuel leak and coolant system issues. Like Mark is doing, let's focus on the wiring first, I'd like to address the fuel issue next, then coolant, then oil. Like Mark said, are you trying to do all the work yourself? Do you have the funds to get your car to a nice repaired state in short order?

#6 fuse 20

I am trying to figure out which to do first as funds are limited and usually family friends help me out with my car...

I know of one good mechanic in Albuquerque and seems like honest shop but don't know what repair is needed first before further damages occur I use car to go to work and back because I know there are issues with it

33,365

Lets start with the windows. It's summer time so you need fresh air. Get yours out and go to a junkyard and find a replacement. My gut feeling is the master window switch is the problem.

Master window switch is that what's visible on door panel?

Coolant issue... So AC works but.... Radiator is all mucky even after a flush they did last year is it best not to run AC? I mean no windows living in dessert isn't quite comfortable

33,365

If it's not over heating and the brakes work AND you trust the mechanic. Go see him/her and get an honest opinion of what to do and when to do it and what's it going to cost. I'm in the Philippines and its my bed time. (I'm old and retired) let me know what you decide.

Ok thanks