OK I've got a 89 Nissan pathfinder

Ted Houskeeper

Asked by Jul 22, 2014 at 02:40 PM

I got it running and drove it about two miles
Parked it then came out the next day and it
wouldn't start. I changed the coil and it
started right up. So I let it run a few mins
shut it off came back ten mins later and it
won't start again. Its getting fuel motors
turning not Firring what could make it not
fire? I'm stumped can anyone help me ?

How does your cap and rotor look? The pick ups inside the cap may be all crusted up. Your fuel pump could also be on it's way out. The next time it will not fire up, have someone turn the key. See if you can hear the pump humming inside of the tank. Don't turn the key until it starts. Just enough to energize the pump.

Ted Houskeeper

The pumps working the car has been sitting for nine yrs I'll try a new cap and bug wires plugs

Wow, 9 years? You will probably be changing out just about everything. That's a long time for dry rot, mice, and everything else to take it's toll. The fuel pump may be working, but the hose may also be rotted off. I changed out my kids pump in her VW that had been sitting around forever. I couldn't believe I even got it home. When I took the pump out of the tank, the entire hose was dry rotted into swiss cheese. The inside of your gas tank could be full of rust also. That will plug the screen on the fuel pump. You may want to take off the fuel filter and dump the gas into a bowl and see if it's chocolate brown. Could be plugged solid.