My 2001boys Chevy silverado 5.3 is loosing engine power. When I'm giving it gas it back fires and has this ploop sound not pop ploop. That I can feel in the floor board. It also put puts along.

20

Asked by Jun 08, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I have replaced plugs, wires and coils! It
seems to be only on the passenger side.
When I unplug... its makes no difference in
the idol.

20

I also have correct compression on both sides

101,415

Is it a vortec engine? If so did you spray anything into the throttle body? If it is and you did then you probably need to replace your intake and spider injectors. They are plastic and if it backfires thru the intake it will destroy them. Learned this the hard way. Still finding pieces of mine in the back yard. Lol

20

It is a vortec! Thank you for responding. I haven't sprayed anything in the throttle but I will check them now just to be thorough. I may be back if they are intact. Any other possible suggestions?

101,415

Check fuel pressure at intake. (With fuel pressure gauge). Could be fuel pump going out.

101,415

Is check engine light on?

20

No sir, but the oil change light is on. My ABS light come on sometimes but that's from the previous owner not bypassing the o2 sensor when they added the new pipes.

20

I will ck that my fuel gage also just started floating at will. But. . . Would that make just the one side have lack of power?

101,415

Ok your fuel level gauge floating on its own is a sign that there's a loose connection or sending unit is going bad. But the fuel level gauge will not check fuel pressure. You will have to borrow this if you don't have one. Auto zone will loan you one.

15,635

ABS light is associated with o2 sensor ?????

20

Thank you SO much. I will ck all of the above and update what I find. For either conformation of the problem for the next person or to ask for more tips.

101,415

No but this one appears to be real. Misinformed maybe but real.

101,415

Ok your welcome.

20

My ABS and "(brake)" light come on after driving a few miles and stay on. But are never on when I first start up. I took it to a shop and they told me who ever did the pipes took out the Cadillac converter but didn't by pass the 02info sensor so that's why my lights come on. For me that's small potatoes compared to the lack of power I'm dealing with now. Pipes also have no.. flex?... and I live on a dirt road so I'm constantly having welding done.

101,415

Ok. Sounds like they miss informed you. 02 sensor has nothing to do with abs or it's warning lights. But it has everything to do with check engine lights. And also the problems you having right now with no power.

101,415

Check the wires going to where the 02 sensors were located. Are they melted to exhaust pipe or damaged in any way? If so that just might be your problem.

20

Gotcha!!! That could make alot of sence. Being that I am a woman I probably am very misinformed. That's why I'm here ruling out the possibilities with people who have nothing to gain from my lack of knowledge. Its the best way to learn and alot cheaper! Thanks guys! Looks like I've got alot of work ahead. I do appreciate your time.

101,415

Your welcome.

20

It was the injectors. Back 2 were clogged up. Replaced them with new o rings and shes running full power. Still back firing but I've got to have some welding done and getting flex put in. Also going to check on the 02 sensor's like you suggested. Now may I ask, what were y'all talking about when y'all discussed if this was real or fake.

101,415

Sorry about that Shelby. But some times people put made up questions on here(fake). We only really want to answer people's questions like yours(real). We enjoy helping other motorists fix their own cars. Glad you got it figured out and running better. Drive safe.