Does the ac fan speed affect mpg or no? Cause I been told that the fan is electric power by the alternator and not the engine it's self

20

Asked by May 28, 2014 at 04:51 AM

16,155

adding any load - from the radio through to turning on the head lights increases fuel consumption. the a/c has a more noticeable affect; yes , running the a/c does increase fuel consumption and the high vs low fan would have an affect ;but, it's the basic a/c that has the greater affect.

Best Answer
21,795

what you were told is correct- the fan is not connected to the engine-

20

So basically the alternator powers the fan?

21,795

the fan is electric- the car's battery powers the fan- the alternator charges the battery-

Best Answer
16,155

energy can be neither be created nor destroyed merely transformed! Of course the alternator supplies the electricity BUT MORE AMPERAGE DRAW = MORE GAS CONSUMPTION -PERIOD! So like I said- the a/c increases gas consumption and the high vs low would have an affect;but, it's the basic a/c that has the greater affect. How much affect hi vs low is so small that you wouldn't notice it;but.it could be measured. YOUR ENTIRE VEHICLE IS POWERED BY THE ENGINE!!!

20

Alright I get it! Shit i already had mark your answer the right one. No need for rude bullshit. I get it thank you. Smh

16,155

jamnblues - you really scared me with your first answer, you kind of redeemed yourself with the P.S. while I was typing my rebuke.

16,155

Carcar25 - my P.S. was to jamnblues because I thought his answer was suggesting that no gas is used to produce the electricity.

16,155

jamnblues - you should have added the engine runs the alternator.

16,155

EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED TO THE ENGINE unless your car doesn't have one.