Dealer took my Registration, License, and Insurance. I never got my registration back... help

Asked by Apr 26, 2014 at 06:43 AM

I was at a dealer to buy a new car the other day and trade in my old one, I decided to
take the day and sleep on it before making a decision. They took my registration,
insurance, and license and photocopyed them. I just realized I never received my
registration back. What do I do? I feel furious, at the same time scared. What if they lost
it, or claim they never took it.

2,205

I would tell them you just need another day or two to think about it and talk to your bank. Ask for the registration back, if they did lose it I think its only about $3.00 or so for a replacement from DMV.

21,485

calm down ,things could be worse. they have it , just forgot it.

23,475

A dealer will make a copy of your license so you can test drive a car- why they made copies of your insurance and reg. I don't have a clue- sounds like a really weird dealer to me- but a copy of your registration is not too big a deal- your car is still registered with DMV and your title says the car belongs to you- tell them to forget the deal and go to another dealer and, this time, ask them WHY before you start blithely turning over your personal information-

70,915

It's perfectly fine. Since you're replacing the old car and buying a new one, proof of insurance is required so you can drive the new car home. They didn't give you back your registration because you'll no longer need it. They're transferring the registration and license plates from your old car onto the new car. You'll have to notify your insurance company of the change though. That's how it works in NJ, where I'm at. HTH. -Jim