1999 Lexis RX 300 engine light

Asked by Apr 07, 2014 at 01:14 AM

I just moved to a new state and my car needs to be registered  and smogged. It will not pass with the light on.. I just had a new transmission put in and new spark plugs 6mos ago. My engine light is on and just 2 days ago my wiper light came on. My wipers are new and I have fluid. It goes off and on. My engine light stays on. I have had 5 mechanics look at it and put it on the little machine. They all told me its something with the gas but no one has offered to fix it. The mechanic that worked on my transmission never mentioned it. I bought a new gas cap and now keep the gas no lower than 1/2 a tank. Suggestions by the mechanics The car runs great! I have no idea what to do. Please help! thank you!

23,705

So now you are in a state that does testing- you can not register the car because it won't stop polluting- my advice, to be thrifty, is to take your car back to where it came from, leave it with a friend and sell it there- you will not be able to sell it in the testing state- then buy a car in your new home that has already passed emissions testing- otherwise, get ready for a long, drawn out battle that you may not win-