Transmission not shifting

Asked by Mar 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I have '98 Dodge Durango that doesn't shift gears. It is an automatic and in most
automatic vehicles you can feel it shift into the next gear; that is not the case with my
Durango. The rpms go up and I never feel the gears change. My father-n-law mentioned
clogged vacuum lines to the transmission. Does that sound like a possibility?

238,105

No on the vacuum lines. I always check the fluid first. What color is it? Should be bright red. Is it in the cross hatched area? Check while engine is warm ,level surface and in park. If the fluid is fine, it could be an internal issue with the transmission meaning your due for a rebuild or replacement. Have a mechanic or reputable transmission shop diagnose your problem for you.

Thanks Tom. I will give that a try.