Below TMV but some problems...

Asked by Mar 21, 2014 at 02:44 PM

We are negotiating on a used car.  Mechanic inspection revealed a leaking oil filter
adaptor and rotors that need replacing.  The dealer's price is $400 less than KBB's lower
range and $600 under TMV.  We asked them to knock off $600 to compensate for
necessary repairs (leaving some room for them to come back with a higher price), but
haven't heard back.  I don't want to be too in love with the car, but I also don't want to
walk away from a deal that we may not see again.  Thoughts?

From Autocheck, it looks like the dealer bought it on 12/16.

105,355

Year make and model please.

2011 Nissan Quest.

105,355

There must be something going on for a Dealer to have it priced under KBB low price, is that all your mechanic found? What is the overall condition?

That's our worry, too, but that's all the mechanic found and I trust him. There is one little scrape, but that's it. My overly optimistic side just hopes that it has been on the lot a long time and they want to move it.

Also, we just need it to last four years while my husband is a medical resident. We don't want to buy another car right after that, but we will be able to. I know the Nissan is not a Honda or a Toyota, but it seems like we can buy a new, nicer Nissan than the other makes. We just need something to haul the kids around for the next few years...

105,355

How many miles are on it?

Just under 85k (so out of warranty).

105,355

OK so that explaines the low price, very high mileage, Nissans are another high maintainance vehicle, if you can find any records it would help, as it has some oil leaks and brake problems it may not have serviced correctly, so be prepared if you do purchase it.

Best Answer Mark helpful