What reliable used car should I get for 2 years in LA?

Asked by Mar 17, 2014 at 02:15 PM

I'm moving to Los Angeles for the next two years to go to school there. From what I've
heard I'm gonna need a car. I'm a foreign student so this will be my first car in the US
(hope insurance won't be insanely high). I considered leasing but apparently I would need
a credit history in the US to do so. Buying a new car is out of the question. That leaves
me with buying a used one. Can anyone recommend a reliable, not too big, not too small
vehicle that is not too bad on fuel? I don't really know any of the common American or
Japanese cars so I thought about getting a used 3 Series BMW. Preferably under 15k.
Maybe a 2004-2008 model. I'm quiet sure that there are better (maybe also cheaper)
options though. I'm grateful for any suggestions. Thank you guys!

246,595

Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Mazda 3 to name a few. BMW is nice but expensive to maintain if you don't do you own work.

35

Chevy spark will make a good car for a college student