Is certified pre owned worth the extra money?

Asked by Mar 07, 2014 at 05:35 PM

Bmw 2011 135i. They will sell to me certified or cut $1500 if non certified. Is it worth it?

251,505

Basically it covers anything going wrong in the amount of time of the warranty. So you roll the dice to see if anything happens in the coverage period. BMW costs are higher than most cars, so do you feel lucky and have some cash laying around in case something does need attention? If not, it's nice to put that extra cost into the monthly car payment.

845

I'd say no... I've had cars that were recertified and things weren't covered (read my review about the Jag XK8)... also, if they are telling you they can recertify, they have already done the inspection, so they know it is up to the standards they would require to recertify, which means the car is in pretty decent shape... also, you need to pay attention to the miles and what you really have left... in the long run, I have always seen the numbers play out where you're better to take the deduction and roll the dice - unless it was something major, you'll be ahead of the game and the larger ticket items are normally already covered under the manufacturers power train warrenty which normally goes to 100k miles and that is what the recerts normally target as well... so pocket the 1500...