I have a 2005 monte carlo with 181k on it I just spent 800$ on a new tie rod and new tires . Two days later it over heated . Shop says it has a bad head gasket or blown head . They did an emission type test on it and it failed . There is no smoke out tail pipe and there is no creamy tan or bubbly oil the oil is clean. They tell me it is leaking in a different area and that just because there is no smoke and the oil looks good it don't mean that head is good? What is your opinion? Should I put a used engine in it or spend the $ to have head or gasket replaced?

Asked by Mar 04, 2014 at 10:38 AM

83,395

181k you may have more than just head gasket problems, an 05 might be worth putting in a crate engine, with a used engine you don,t really know what you've got until it is running.

The heater quit working at the same time it got hot...Found out that when I took it in to shop they did a block test and put a solvent in radiator to determine if carbon was in it. They said it failed the block test . We did a coolant test with one of these I borrowed from my brother. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-TOOLS-COOLING- SYSTEM-PRESSURE-TESTER-KIT-SVTS-262-/231177049078 This showed a bad water pump and or thermostat not a bad head gasket.. We replace both to be safe 30$ for both and Car is running great...

83,395

I have never heard of anybody putting solvent in a cooling system for a block check, the pressure tester will test for a blown headgasket if combustion pressure is leaking into the cooling system but not combustion gasses. Keep a eye on the coolant level, if it starts to drop and no external leaks are found then you still may have a headgasket or cylinder head problem or possible intake leak.

Thank you ... Will do . So far so good..