Why don't I have heat?

105

Asked by Feb 22, 2014 at 04:31 PM

I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon. The engine is not overheating and its doing fine on coolant. But, I have no heat at all. The car is losing no coolant. I am lost on what is wrong. Help?

101,375

With engine at operating temp locate the two heater hoses that go to your heater core. They should be along and penetrating the firewall. Feel the hoses. Is one hot and the other cold or Luke warm? If so your heater core is stopped up. Is neither hot? Then you possibly have a cooling system issue. Is both hot? If so then you probably have a damper door issue. Check the hoses and let us know what you find.

Best Answer
105

Thank you. I will check that.

105

Both hoses were heated and now I have heat. However, the true test is whether or not it will continue to throw heat tomorrow when I have it out on the road. My brother, who is a mechanic, said the same as you dandyoun. However, he also suggested checking to make sure the radiator fans were not stuck on. Cooling the engine even when it was cold. I am going to continue to watch it. Thank you for your advice.

101,375

Sounds good. If you end up with a no heat condition again re check the hoses. If both are cold or Luke you could have a thermostat sticking open not allowing the coolant to get to operating temp. Good luck and keep us posted.

105

Thanks I will.

105

After taking the car to my brother(who is an ASE certified mechanic) we discovered that the 4 month old thermostat was stuck open. So, the car heated well when parked but cooled when going down the road. Getting a new one tomorrow. Thanks for your input dandyoun.

101,375

Glad you got it figured out. Drive safe.

105

Thanks I always do. I have a Neon. lol