I have an 82 mustang with a 302 and a 4 speed transmission I'm looking at buying a 98 mustang that currently has a v6 with a manual transmission. I'd like to put the 302 into the 98.

Asked by Feb 07, 2014 at 09:33 AM

1)will the transmission in the 98 work
with the 302?
2)will the 98's computer work with
the 302?
3)will I have problems with the 98's
rear end?

10,595

1) The 3.8 Essex and the 302 have the same bolt pattern. 2.) Not without a massive amount of work and many headaches. 3.) Whats the power output of your 302. (I believe the same diff is used with the 4.6).

10,595

My question is why?? There are performance packages for the 3.8 to get 230 rwhp or 320+ with a supercharger.

Best Answer Mark helpful

The v6 is blown.

Also 82 body is rough 98 is very good

10,595

OK. Do you have to pass smog tests? If you do I don't think it will be a smooth process. If you don't the cheapest solution is to swap the 302 in and switch the car to carb. It would be much easier than adapting the factory fuel injection onto the older motor.

No inspections of any kind (oklahoma) and the 302 has a 4 barrel quad

10,595

If you wanted the efi you would probably need a 4.6 harness and computer with all the sensors, dist, etc. Then you don't have the cam phasors and other components on your motor you would need a custom tune to get it to run right??? I'm not sure how the fords ECM's work but I know in the GM world there are quite a few people who tried to adapt the multiport or sequential multiport efi systems to older v-8 and have noting but problems. It's always easier to start with the correct number or cylinders. Throttle bodies would be alot easier.

10,595

With the carb you would need motor mounts (probably some out there in the racing world). Bypassing fuel regulator to use the stock fuel pump and feed the lower pressure carb (I hope the 98 has a return fuel line, if not you'll have to run one. Electric fans. Throttle cable brackets adaptor. Speedo?? the '98 will be electric back to the ECM. I don't now if there is a speedo cable adaptor for that tranny??? And swap the rest of the gauges to analog units. The wiring should be alot simpler on the carb. Any way you cut it it's going to be alot of work.

Well speaking of the tranny The 302 has a manual 4 speed with 2nd and 4th not working any ideas?

10,595

Wow must be a treat to drive, lol. Reminds me of the second 700r4 auto in my '92 GMC with 1st and drive, had to redline it in first to catch drive, at least the clutch would help there. Rebuild or wreckers if you can't shell out for a new one. Atleast a manual you can test the forks and gears on a wrecker unit, gambling only on the syncro's.